Cool Safety In Hot Weather With Infiniti’s Safety Tips
Infiniti in the Middle East and RoadSafetyUAE are teaming up to help drivers avoid the harsh effect that the extreme summer temperatures can have on their vehicles. The two organisations have created a set of simple guidelines that will help ensure that both the passengers and their vehicles will endure the hot summer season without incident. Here are some cool guidelines for keeping your ride safe in the heat:
High temperatures can become a serious problem for tires, especially if they are not properly maintained. Incorrect inflation pressures, poor wheel balance and alignment also contribute to a reduction in tire life and safety. A simple checklist will improve your chances of being safe during summer travel:
- Use only reputable branded and certified tires. Avoid fitting tires which may be substandard and therefore potentially unsafe.
- Use the correct tire type and dimension for your vehicle. Refer to the vehicle owner’s manual or ask for expert advice if not sure.
- Check the tire pressures at least once per month using a reliable or calibrated gauge. The recommended pressures are quoted in the vehicle owner’s manual or on a sticker usually attached to a door frame or fuel cover. Make sure that the pressures are checked when the tires are “cold”, i.e. driven less than 3 km before the check.
- Inflating tires with Nitrogen instead of air can help to maintain pressure stability for longer periods.
- Respect the load and speed capabilities of the tires fitted to the vehicle by not exceeding them
- Avoid driving over or near hazardous objects that could damage the tires and make them unsafe or unfit for service, for example, rocks, glass, potholes, curbs etc
The increased temperatures in the region increase the propensity for vehicle fires. According to RoadSafetyUAE, research indicates that that 75 per cent of vehicle fires are caused by bad maintenance, mechanical or electrical failures or malfunctions. Collisions or overturns caused only three per cent of these fires but 57 per cent of the associated deaths. One-third of non-fatal vehicle fire injuries occurred when civilians attempted to fight the fire themselves. A few simple tips below can avoid a potentially hazardous situation:
- Vehicle maintenance and inspection is crucial to prevent vehicle fires.
- Watch for fluid leaks under vehicles, cracked or blistered hoses, or wiring that is loose, has exposed metal or has cracked insulation
- Avoid throwing cigarette butts anywhere.
- When driving – Be alert to changes in the way your vehicle sounds when running, or to a visible plume of exhaust coming from the tailpipe. A louder than usual exhaust tone, smoke coming from the tailpipe or a backfiring exhaust could mean problems or damage to the high-temperature exhaust and emission control system on the vehicle.
With the harsh summer climate of the region, proper maintenance of your vehicle is of paramount importance especially where the dusty/sandy conditions and high temperatures take a toll on your vehicle. Checks should happen regularly to avoid break downs or accidents. The tips below will be useful to making sure that your vehicle is in the best of health:
- Have your vehicle checked by the experts. Infiniti owners can contact their local dealer to ensure that their vehicle is in good running condition.
- Use only original spare parts. Original spare parts are manufactured to the highest of quality and specifications to withstand the pressures of the internal engine environment. The use of cheaper sub-standard parts can be detrimental to the vehicle as well as its passengers.
- Ensure a qualified expert periodically checks your brake pads, brake discs and braking fluids.
- Ensure that the gas levels in the Air Conditioning compressor as well as the filters are cleaned regularly – especially in summer.
- Ensure that other important fluids are at the appropriate levels. This includes; Radiator coolant fluid, battery coolant, transmission and engine oil.
In a vehicle, the seat belt is the first line of defence for all inhabitants in a vehicle. Wearing your seat belt should become a regular practice not just in the summer months, but at all times when using a vehicle. The chance of serious injury or a fatality becomes significantly higher when you do not buckle up.
In the worst case scenario of an emergency situation – the most important thing is to try and remain calm. Infiniti owners across the region have the option to avail of a road side assistance service can be especially useful in an emergency. In addition to the above, some simple tips can be useful in a potentially hazardous situation:
- Put your hazard lights on
- Check the surrounding area and cautiously pull over to the right hand side of the road. It is important to decelerate in a gradual manner as abrupt breaking can also cause an accident
- Put the car in park and engage the handbrake
- Call the local emergency services/roadside assistance as the situation demands
- It is always advised to get out of your car and maintain a safe distance while you wait for help to arrive